Skip to main content
About the Court
All Courts in the Ninth Judicial Circuit will be closed on Thursday, September 21, 2017 for Rosh Hashanah.
About the Court
Overview of History in the Ninth Circuit
Orange County Courthouses
Past Chief Judges
1998: High-Rise Halls of Justice
Orange County commissioners in 1994 agreed to build a new courthouse that would bring court functions together in a central location.
1857: The Deserted Cabin on Church Street
In October 1857, Alabama businessman B.F. Caldwell donated four acres for a courthouse at the site that is now Heritage Square.
1863: First Official Courthouse
By 1863, six years after B. F. Caldwell’s gift of four acres, the county raised enough money to build a two-story log cabin: Orange County’s first official courthouse.
1869: Small Courthouse
Capt. Bluford Sims built a small frame courthouse for the county at a cost of $1,250 to replace the one that had burned down.
1875: The Courthouse that Jake Built
Orange County’s first substantial courthouse was the focus of a major turning point in Central Florida history.
1892: The Red Victorian Courthouse
In the 1880s, Central Florida boomed with growth fueled by the coming of the railroads, and Orange County leaders envisioned a grand courthouse.
1927: Classical Temple to Justice
Built at the then-immense sum of nearly $1 million, the former courthouse building now houses the Orange County Regional History Center.
1960: The Modern, Aqua Courthouse Annex
When the red-brick Victorian courthouse building was torn down in 1958, it was replaced by a structure that also reflected the culture of its times.