When you have limited proficiency in English, the United States justice system can seem overwhelming and confusing. However, working behind-the-scenes to increase access to the courts and level the playing field are a group of dedicated, unsung superheroes – interpreters!
In this latest episode of Open Ninth, Chief Judge Don Myers and the Ninth Circuit’s Interpreter Judge, Judge Luis Calderon, explore the important role interpreters play in the administration of justice, how that role has changed over time, and how Virtual Remote Interpreting takes it to the next level.
- 0:19 - Judge Luis Calderon’s background
- 3:23 - Immigrating, family values, and educational achievement
- 9:30 - Passing DC and New York Bar Exams, practicing criminal defense
- 16:51 - Limited English proficiency and interpreter services
- 21:58 - The role of an interpreter judge and interpreters in the courtroom
- 28:21 - Need for interpreters and resources
- 29:32 - Virtual Remote Interpreting
- 31:30 - COVID-19 and interpreting